Friday, January 28, 2011

Elementary School Science Project: The Volcano

As I was running some vinegar through my coffee pot to clean it, I was googling how to remove wallpaper.  Want to know how?  Vinegar.  Apparently you mix some with water, and spray it on the wallpaper.  If you let it soak in, it helps loosen the adhesive.  It got me thinking about all of the amazing things this stuff does.  It's so STINKING versatile!

A while back I wrote about saving money.  I gave tipnut.com as a resource for making laundry detergent, and said I was going to check out the website because it looked neat.  Well...I checked it out.  It's neat:)  Just as the name would lead you to believe, the website is full of ridiculous amounts of extremely practical tips!  While I was browsing, two of the articles that made the biggest impression on me were on the many uses of vinegar and baking soda. Two things that nearly every household has in their pantry all of the time.  If you don't have them...go getcha sum!! They are super cheap and uber effective:)  Because this post would be extremely long if I shared all of the tips, I'm just going to lin k the articles.

Vinegar-
More Than 20 Ways Vinegar Can Help Your Kitchen Sparkle- I often soak my drinking glasses in vinegar when they develop that weird film from the minerals in the water.  It keeps them crystal clear!

10 Laundry Boosters Using Vinegar- Save money on those stain removers.

Homemade Citrus Vinegar Cleaner- I haven't tried this, but I would like to.  I would think the citrus would improve the scent:)

Baking Soda-

50 Household Tips for Baking Soda - When I was student teaching, the FACS teacher at Rogersville taught me that baking soda is the best stove-top cleaner ever!  Just sprinkle it on, and use a wet brillo pad (or stove-top pad, if you are worried about scratching. They are like brillo pads but softer and pink.  I haven't had this problem, but I would hate to give you bad advice!)  It's amazing.  Far better than the expensive stovetop cleaner I bought.

15 Beauty and Health Tips for Baking Soda- Strawberries and baking soda whiten teeth?  Who knew.  I'm not going to lie, this tip makes me wonder if all of the tips are a joke.  I might try it to find out because that's super interesting!  Haha!

There are so many links!  From unclogging toilets, to treating gingervitus!  Relieving itchiness from insect bites to tenderizing meat!  Cleaning cat urine to removing warts!  Just follow the links or go to tipnut.com and search "vinegar," or "baking soda."  You'll learn something new...I promise:)

I guess vinegar and baking soda have a lot more uses than creating that volcano that we all made in elementary school.  I know you remember!

What are your favorite uses for vinegar and/or baking soda?  Any clever tips?   I'm seriously contemplating NOT replacing that bottle of windex and 409.

:)  Happy Cleaning! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment