Monday, January 10, 2011

Easiest Dessert Ever!

I think it is so funny that people think I cook frequently and immaculately.  I rarely try new recipes (I love it when I do, though!).  I often make up my own, non-gourmet concoctions with whatever I can find in our freezer and pantry...and a lot of the time, I don't even like my own creations.  Also, most of the foods Wes and I eat at home come from a box.  Tonight was jambalaya night.  Let me tell you, we LOVE our jambalaya...and tuna helper:)

If I try a new recipe, I am cooking because I want to.  Every once in a while, when I'm cooking because I want to, I come across a super easy and inexpensive recipe.  I commit those recipes to memory for emergencies, like unexpected company...or over-procrastination:)

This is one such recipe.  I made it after my freshman year in college for my dad and I when my mom was visiting Korea for the summer.  It is sooo good!

Peach Cobbler Dump Cake

2 (16 ounce) cans of peaches in heavy syrup
1 box of yellow cake mix
1 stick (1/2 cup) of butter
ground cinnamon.

Preheat the oven to 375.  I sprayed a 9x13 inch pan with PAM, but I don't know that you really need to.  Pour both cans of peaches into the pan.  In a separate bowl, melt the butter.  Mix the cake mix and the butter until the butter is evenly incorporated (you want it to be very crumbly).  Spread the cake mix-mixture evenly over the peaches, and sprinkle with cinnamon to taste.  If you struggle with the whole "to taste" thing, I would recommend about 1/2 teaspoon.  Bake for 45 minutes, or until the top is a bit browned.

Note:  I've seen recipes that say to spread the cake mix over the peaches, then cut the butter into small pieces and spread the pieces evenly over the cake mix.  I'm sure that works great too, I just do it the other way:)  Also, you can use cans of pie filling instead of peaches.
Eat it warm with a big scoop of ice cream!  It is so delicious and homey, and takes 5 minutes or less to prep!  Also, I almost always have the ingredients on hand!  Can't beat that! 

So there you go!  Now go buy yourself some peaches and a cake mix!  It will pull you through in a bind, or warm you up on a cold day!  You won't regret it...I promise!  (unless you're on a diet, or are extremely healthy...then you might!  ha!)

Have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment